About Us

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

As a little kid I remember hating when my parents would leave to go somewhere.  I was a little paranoid, but I had this idea in my head that when they left they would never come back. Now I had nothing to base this thought on, but it still scared me nonetheless.  I grew up in a loving home where neither of my parents ever talked about leaving, but I guess I thought that if us kids were not there with them all the time they would forget about us!  Now that I am older I realize that this is not the case, but I can understand where children get this thought process from.  When little kids close there eyes they think that no one else can see them, so therefore, if someone they love leaves and they cannot see them the only logical conclusion is that the child has been forgotten by the adult.
Dog's have this same mentality.  Whenever we are getting ready to leave the apartment Daisy can sense this.  She starts following us around and putting on her sad eyes as if you say "please take me with you."  She hangs out by the front door as we gather up our things, and when we tell her to kennel up she waits a minute to see if we will change our mind.  Even though we always come back, I think she thinks "out of sight, out of mind," just like I did when I was younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment