About Us

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dogs are Boys and Cats are Girls

I had some complaints from my male followers after my last post so I thought I would redeem myself by actually writing about dogs in this time:)

For some reason when I was little I thought that all dogs were boys and all cats were girls.  This had me thoroughly confused as to how each species managed to procreate, but I just took for granted that this was "how it was."  Thankfully I outgrew this mindset and have everything figured out now (obviously, I have a girl dog).  But I have noticed that this mindset pervades in many people's thinking.  Cats are perceived to be much more feminine creatures by the majority of our population, while dogs (maybe because they are more "sturdy" creatures) are more manly.  Don't get me wrong, I know of (a few) men that own cats, but the majority of cat owners/lovers are women. 
All this to say that when I walk Daisy with a pink leash (much to my husband's dismay) I always get asked by passers-by "how old is he?" or "what is his name?"
Know I know that it is not always obvious whether an dog is a he or she (for example we met a bulldog named Abby on our walk today...and in my mind bulldogs always look like boys) but I think it is courteous to ask the owner what the sex of the dog is before making any assumptions, especially if you are stopping to have a conversation. 
 
Enough of my venting!  
The weather in Fort Worth was delightful today! We turned off the AC and left the porch door open.  This is a picture of Daisy enjoying the view from the third floor:

1 comment:

  1. Haha. So the other day in the hospital, this woman walks by with a toddler in a stroller. The kid's hair is kinda long and the kid is dressed in unisex clothing. The stroller is also gender neutral. So this other nurse says to the lady, "aww, she's cute, how old is she?" And the lady answers "HE's 18 months." People, dress your kid specific to their gender, especially when their hair can go either way. Same thing for dogs. Get her a big pink, rhinestone collar.

    ReplyDelete