About Us

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Timing is Everything

Timing is everything when you are puppy training.  How long has it been since we last went out? When would be a good time to go on a walk? If I give her a bone right before I sit down to eat can I avoid her barking? Will she stay asleep long enough for me to use the computer for a few minutes?
These are just a few of the questions I ask myself multiple times during the day.

When it comes to walking I  am learning that time of day makes all the difference.  For example: we have been taking walks in the morning between 8 and 9 o'clock.  This works great because Daisy has the most energy in the morning and walking is a great way to channel all of her excitement.  While walking in the morning keeps her calm for most of the day, she is usually ready for a hard-core play session by the time dinner rolls around.  Yesterday I thought I would try walking her around mid-day since I had errands to run in the AM and I also had hopes that she would be more calm during the rest of the day. 
Did my plan work? Ehhh, not quite like I had hoped.  Evidently the heat of the day is not conducive to a 3 mile walk (at least in Daisy's mind).  I think she walked backwards the whole way out, trying her hardest to get back the the car and some AC.  Once I had decided to give up the fight and head back she pretty much ran the whole way...which meant I had to run too!  I don't mind taking walks any time of the day, but running in 95 degree heat is not in my top 10 list of things I love to do.
Needless to say this morning we went back to our morning walking schedule with much greater success!

Here is a pic for today:
Daisy will pick anything up and chew on it (okay not anything, she is pretty good about leaving furniture, shoes, and power cords alone...thankfully!)  But she loves to find "treasures" outside to bring in.  This pic is of a carton that she found outside.  She brought it in and promptly went under the table (where she goes if she wants to be left alone).  This carton was quickly replaced with her bone after this picture was taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment